Android has truly changed the face of the mobile phone industry and has revolutionized the way mobile phones were perceived few years back. Being an open source mobile operating system, it has been incorporated by scores of mobile phone manufacturers. As the code of Android is made available to the developers, it can be tweaked in any way. As of now, there are more than 1.5 billion smartphones registered with Android and the number is surging ahead.
With Android, apps have also become a buzzword. What Android is today has a lot to do with the mobile apps this platform makes available to its users. Google has provided complete technical and knowledge support to the developers by offering them APIs, SDK, IDEs and a comprehensive guide to learn Android app development. Furthermore, it has also developed an online marketplace or store that publishes Android apps and acts as a one-stop store for all your Android app’s requirement.
All this has made the process of building and launching an Android app, a breeze for the developers. As Java is the basic language used to build Android apps, there is no dearth of quality developers for the purpose. The app once published on the Play Store can be downloaded by any user with a Google account. The developers can monetize the app by either charging for them upfront, or offering in-app purchases. Showing advertisements on the app is also the most popular way of making money through it.
Building an Android app
Building an Android app requires to be well versed with Core Java language and the functions of the IDE. If you are using aplatform like Andromo, you can develop apps even without any knowledge of coding. However, such apps have limited functionality. For a full-fledged Android app, you will need certain tools and skills. If you are an entrepreneur and looking to extend your business’ presence to mobile phones, you can build your apps with the help of tools like Appbuilder and Mobiloud. However, if you are looking for custom Android apps, you should better look for a qualified Android development team that knows the nuances of app development. It will ensure that your app is unique and has features that you want.
Some of the attributes that must be present in an Android app developer
• Knowledge of Android’s architecture, JAVA, APIs, SDK and Android Studio- the integrated development environment.
• The additional mandatory skills are knowledge of JSON parsing, XML parsing and few others.
• The developers must have more than 2 years of experience in Android app development.
Launching an Android app
Android has made sure that the launching or publishing of the app is smooth. You just need to be registered with Play Store and after paying a nominal fee, you can publish the apps. Once the final build of the Android application is ready, you just need to upload it to the Play Store, using your registered Google account.
In addition to the Play Store, the apps can also be published on other app stores like Amazon. You can market the app after you have successfully published the app on the Android’s app store and other stores. As the number of downloads of your app increases, it will start to show up on the top list. Just like website promotion in search engines, the apps can be optimized for the app store and the process is not much different than search engine optimization.
Monetizing the App
An app is build with a clear motive to become viral and then enjoy the profits that pour in from all quarters. The apps that solve some problems of the users become indispensable and thus, become quite popular. Google has suggested many ways to monetize the apps and earn revenues.
• Paid apps and free subsequent features: Such apps charge a one-time fee and offer other additional features for free. Users have to pay once and enjoy all the features available in the app.
• Paid apps and paid additional features: These apps require an upfront payment before downloading and charge the users for other additional features. Very few apps use this model as users often do not wish to pay a fortune for an app, especially when they have a plethora of alternatives.
• Freemium apps: The Android apps based on freemium model offer the apps for free but charge for additional features. The additional features are offered as in-app purchases.
• Advertisement on the apps: The most common way of monetizing an app is by posting advertisements on it. The users do not have to pay a single penny for the app, but have to bear the pesky advertisements that keep popping up every now and then.
This guide will surely help the beginners who wish to build their Android apps and reap the benefits from them. They will feel more informed while making decisions pertaining to building, launching and marketing of the apps.