Reading Time: 3 minutes
In this blog post, we have covered Single-Page Application vs Multi-Page Application comparison as well as which one a business should opt.
The web world is evolving at a faster rate where the only way to compete is to have the best resources with you. Irrespective of the business that you carry, it is mandatory to remain updated with the latest trends so that your brand will not appear dull at any point of time. In the mobile app development, both single-page and multiple-page apps are in hefty demand to develop robust yet featured web applications.
Here arises a point of dilemma about which app type among them is preferable. The fact is, both have their own set of advantages and disadvantages. So, you need to be assured about your requisites and all the minor details before moving ahead by implementing these ideas.
Let’s have a look at few aspects that can help you differentiate these two app types:
What are Single-page Applications
A single-page application is an app that works inside a browser without requiring page reload during its usage. Some of the most popular examples of these apps are GitHub, Google Maps, Gmail and even Facebook. This web application fits on a single HTML page that can be dynamically updated and most of the interactions are easily managed.
Google Docs are the finest example of SPAs. When you click on any element of this document, type something, or perform any other activity, the main interface remains untouched. While, only the chunk of content that you want to change is being modified. Single-page apps run on this basic concept.
Benefits of Single-page Applications:
1) SPAs inhibits quick behavior as the resources which they use, like HTML+CSS+Scripts, are loaded only once for the entire usage session of an app. Data is the only thing which is transferred and modified after user actions.
2) The web app development with SPA is quicker and more efficient. So, there is no need to write custom code for server page rendering. Moreover, there is also an ease to start coding from a file file://URI, without using any server at all.
3) These apps are optimized for Chrome debugging because developers have the authority to monitor network operations, scrutinize page elements and associated data.
4) With SPA, it is easy to create a mobile application. The reason is quite simple. The developers can reuse the same backend code as and when required in the application.
5) SPAs are highly efficient to cache any local storage. An app simply forwards a single reflex, combines the necessary data, and can even function offline at some instances.
What are Multiple-page applications
Multi-page apps are practically larger than the single-page and aim at showcasing more content. These applications works in a conventional way. Here, every major data change or data submission back to the server results in rendering a fresh page in the browser.
The complexity and costs of developing MPAs are higher and demands multiple levels of UI to design.
There is a sigh of relief as AJAX solution makes it easy to refresh certain parts of the application instead of entire layout containing tons of data between servers and browsers.
Standard features of multiple-page applications
1) SEO implementation is much easy in the multi-page apps as one can optimize each separate page of the app for a specific keyword.
2) It’s the most suitable option for users who demand better visual clues for navigation for the app. MPAs are usually constructed with familiar multi-level menus and similar navigation tools.
3) It is a cakewalk to develop basic mobile apps with MPAs. But, if you require an extremely rich user interface with a bulky data, then things become complicated.
4) It takes much time to generate complex pages on a server and switch them to the client over the internet. It is then rendered to the browser with much effort and time and degrade the user experience as well.
5) Initially, MPAs were improved by introducing AJAX where only few parts of the page is refreshed instead of the whole page. It has improved the user experience with few complexities within the page itself.
Summing it Up
Are you confused about which kind of app development to follow? It is bit confusing but you do not need to panic. The best part is, we are living in a top-notch advanced arena where technology gives the solution for each problem that we face. Here, the only consideration is to scrutinize even the minutest aspect of the mobile app that you want to develop for your brand. Practically, both these apps have inherent traits that make them fit for their specific use. So, pick the one that suits you the best.
We would love to hear your comments relating to the post. Got some other thoughts? Drop us words through our contact page.