Reading Time: 3 minutes
Emergence of wearable technology pricked up the ears of most of the entrepreneurs for having immeasurable potentials to recast many industries, healthcare is not an exception. Healthcare sector witnessed a widespread changes over the years, in terms of assimilation of technology in medicines, therapies, etc., for enhancing life expectancy to a wider extent.
Adoption of wearable technology in healthcare proved to be a spinal cord of medical industry for enhancing reliability and the level of the treatment. Wearable devices like shoes, smart wristbands, headbands, necklaces, belts, etc. are sensor enabled and able to gather raw data easily. These data are then used for analysis through software application and trigger a response.
Benefits of Wearable Technology For Patients
The integration of wearable technology in healthcare application has taken medical practices to the next level and facilitates patients to avail following benefits.
- The major benefits of wearable technology is that it makes everything easy for patients in terms of proper documentation, in-app maintenance of patient’s records, etc.
- Patients who are at home and facing major illness can avail emergency treatment through wearable devices.
- It enables tracking of some vital stats and then transmits data to the healthcare service provider for enabling remote monitoring.
- These apps are able to give important reminders and alerts, and help in improvement of compliance rate.
How Wearable Technologies Uplift The Standard of Medical Services?
Healthcare service providers too can avail benefits of using wearables, like patients. The technology helps them raise the level of medical service in the following ways.
- The technology offers crucial data to providers to predict and enhance the standard of their services through in-depth analysis.
- Using wearable device on the chest of patients lets provider access the crucial parameters with an efficiency rather than appointing nurses to do it. So, it reduces costs, time and manpower.
- Integrating IoT technology into wearable apps lets providers establish connection among patients, doctors and medical equipment.
- Using advanced wearable devices helps surgeons view pre-loaded X-ray and CT images while doing surgery.
Reasons Why Wearables are Gaining Popularity in Healthcare
Chronic Ailments Prevention
Healthcare providers face lots of challenges when it comes to managing chronic disease, even though spending millions of dollars into it. Chronic ailments like heart disease, asthma, diabetes, etc., often require heavier expenses in compliance and monitoring .
Using wearable devices lets providers enjoy some sort of ease into chronic disease management. The wearable system tends to easily communicate with a smartphone application and website portal through Bluetooth, Wi-Fi and cellular connections. The asthma monitoring system can be easily connected with the toros through skin-safe adhesive that can easily track forerunner symptoms of asthmatic attacks such as cough rate, respiration pattern, body temperature and more.
Elders are prone to be health diseases and thus face lots of problems. This is the reason why elder care has become a prime concern in healthcare sector especially in the United States.
There are several smart wearables available to cater elders and let them get major treatments for diseases they are facing. For instance, elders suffering from poor visibility or eye sight can manage it wearing smart glasses, which are an important device bringing a display in front of individual’s eyes to display the data from the background system. This helps wearers to view the environment even without any kind of interference.
There are various smart trackers that help people stay fit to compete with today’s fast-paced life. Fitness wearable devices are designed to track several important stats or metrics related to fitness like total distance walked, quality of sleep, heartbeat, calories consumption, etc. Synced to a mobile phone wirelessly for monitoring health-related data, these are highly in use especially among sports enthusiasts, fatty people or others.
Also read: Top 5 Ways to Flourish Your Business with IoT
Wearable Sensors For Real Time Health Tracking
Remote monitoring system is designed with two interfaces to assist both patients and doctors respectively. The interface designed for patient gathers their medical records through wearable sensors and transmits the same through Bluetooth low energy to a listening port. The port then transmits the same data to server that further processes these data to display reports on the interface designed for doctors.
The RMS system is capable of detecting certain underlying heart conditions in real-time with a diagnostic framework. So, it helps patients easily recover from heart diseases and get treatment in a real time.
Evolution’s of wearable technology redefined the way of medical services are provided nowadays. The benefits of wearable’s for both patients and providers fostered the industry to welcome it with open arms. There is no surprise that demand of prominent wearable devices that include Google Glass, smart watches, etc., are getting higher day-by-day. This increased the demand of wearable apps that directly support these devices.